Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Time Is Here....

It is still hard to believe that Christmas is already upon us, and right around the corner is 2011. Where has 2010 gone? We certainly had our ups and downs this year, but all in all it wasn't half bad. I'm working this Christmas (volunteered for the OT when the supes were fretting about making sure we had enough coverage) and while it means I'll be spending my first Christmas morning without watching my girl open presents. Granted, at 13 I think we're a bit beyond the whole Santa-coming-down-the-chimney notion, but it's still always special to see her face as she opens her gifts. This year cash was a little tighter than usual, so we had to get creative. We got her the usual art supplies, and a drawing pad, as well as a new binder to keep her drawings and stories in. A little candy for the stocking, and a hat I knit myself that is Texas orange and white for the Texas Longhorns. There was supposed to be a scarf as well, but that didn't work out so much. I've never drafted a pattern before, and I tell you- it's harder than I thought!

Speaking of knitting, that is something right now that I am truly enjoying. I've made little bits of extra money off items people have requested (mainly hats- it got kind of cold here!), and I've also made a few baby blankets. Now, I'm trying out a pattern using what I call my practice yarn (it's yarn the hubster's grandmother gave me that I think is older than I am) to try and knit some finger-gloves for one of my supes as a gift set for her daughter. I've never made gloves before- never even made mittens- but I figured what the hell, I have to learn sometime. I also have a trapper's hat the hubster's coworker has requested, but he wants it in Oklahoma University colours. Normally the hubster would have told him where he could put an OU hat, but I think he actually likes this guy. They've taken several business trips together and they get along swimmingly. After that, there are 2 dog sweaters for a teacup chihuahua, and possibly the scarf to match the girl's Christmas hat.

This is going to be a rough Christmas, I think. It's going to be our first Christmas without our dog Luke. That big oaf was such a sweetheart, but he and his brother Anakin got out of our yard and Luke was hit by a car. I don't think I've ever cried so hard over an animal. Well, maybe my rat Jeremy, but I was also 2 weeks shy of having my girl, so I think hormones were key. Luke was MY dog. I adored him, and the way he'd try and be as frisky and agile as Anakin, but being twice his weight it was impossible. When AC picked him up they weighed him, and told the hubster he was 135 lbs. We were guessing maybe 100, tops 110. Solid muscle too. I still miss him. Some friends have some mutt-puppies they are trying to give away, and I've considered trying to talk the hubster into taking one, but I don't know if I'm ready for it. Maybe. But I'm still on the fence about it. Maybe when we see them on New Year's Eve we'll decide.

There hasn't been any orchestra rehearsals since our concert on the 7th. It's been a nice break, but we start back up on the 4th. That means it's time to begin practicing again. One of the next concerts we'll be playing some music from "Pirates of the Caribbean", and my girl and I will be playing our fifes. That will be exciting. Since we're also going to be playing some folky-type music, I may have to break out the recorder and pennywhistle as well.

It's just about time to close up shop and head home. We're spending Christmas with our extended family at the MIL's house, as we do every year. I think it'll be a fun year. Now it's on to 2011 and whatever it holds for us. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get a breather and can sit and knit a sweater for myself. Two years (almost) of knitting and nothing has been made for myself. Go fig. :)

Vera modeling my girl's hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment